What Is Disinfecting?
December 08, 2020
Cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting are all different. Those terms, and in particular sanitizing and disinfecting, are often used interchangeably. While cleaning regularly is important, it has nothing to do with making sure surfaces are sanitized and disinfected. Likewise, sanitizing and disinfecting are ineffective without cleaning. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) emphasizes knowing the difference between cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting and clarifies the differences as such:
– Cleaning removes dirt and impurities on surfaces. This is accomplished with soaps, detergents, and water.
– Sanitizing surfaces or objects lowers the number of germs and bacteria to a safe level according to public health standards or requirements. This process can be accomplished with products or heat, as is the case in many restaurants and other establishments.
– Disinfecting kills germs and bacteria on surfaces. Generally speaking, this is done with products that use chemicals.
You may wonder if disinfecting kills germs and bacteria, why bother sanitizing at all. The fact is, most of the products we use for disinfecting contain harsh chemicals and should not be used regularly. For most situations, a regular cleaning and sanitizing routine can help reduce the number of germs and bacteria to an acceptable level. Disinfecting an area is normally done less frequently and in cases where it is essential to destroy germs and bacteria frequently, such as medical facilities or other areas where someone who has been sick might have been.
A home where your family has been quarantined due to COVID-19, for instance, would need to be disinfected. In a normal household setting, disinfecting is most important for bathrooms or in the kitchen where raw food products (particularly meat) have been introduced. Disinfecting can also be used in areas that are frequently touched by people that have the potential of being sick, such as doorknobs, sink handles, and toilet lids, and handles.
Of course, the COVID-19 pandemic has all of us more concerned than we've ever been with health and safety. Businesses are opening again and looking for ways to disinfect their facilities to give their employees and customers peace of mind. Many people have gotten COVID-19 and quarantined at home who want to ensure their houses are disinfected when it's over.
This has made disinfecting (killing germs and bacteria completely) more important to all of us. With so many disinfecting products that contain chemicals that are harmful to people and pets, consumers have begun searching for alternatives that provide a better way to disinfect.
Germinator of the Low Country is the answer. Whether you want to open your business with peace of mind or disinfect your home after a COVID-19 lockdown, the Germinator patent-pending process is effective and convenient. We bring our sanitizing and disinfecting services to your home and do all the work. You get to enjoy the benefits. Whether you want to disinfect a home where you've been quarantined or you want to take proactive measures to reduce the threat of germs and bacteria in your home, Germinator is the best way to do it.
Why Germinator Is the Best Choice for Your Disinfecting Needs:
- Knowledge and Experience: This is our specialty. Since 2015, we have been 100% focused on just sanitizing and disinfection services. We have conducted extensive studies based on experiments with other methods like ozone, UV light, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine dioxide, and other quats. These studies were reviewed by our Scientific Board comprised of top medical professionals, including a former Assistant Surgeon General for five administrations.
- Product Efficacy: Based on this review, Germinator acquired the products that would provide the most effective combination for cleaning and disinfecting and protection services available for commercial applications on the market. Our products are EPA registered as effective for their intended uses and further validated by our own Scientific Board.
- Patent Pending: The methodology developed by Germinator is patent-pending and is the most unique and cost-effective means of providing enhanced antimicrobial protection for your environment.
- Professionalism: Germinator's goal is to exceed your expectations. We achieve this by a commitment to excellence in our products and services. Our highly trained staff will treat you with respect and professionalism in all interactions.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Germinator uses state of the art services at the most competitive and cost-effective prices available. Germinator's program improves upon routine janitorial services that use more harsh chemicals and have limited application capabilities.
- Verification: Germinator is so confident in the efficacy of its program that it includes a verification component. For each application, we verify that the surface treatment and protectant services have achieved the intended results. We stand by our program.
Today more than ever, it is important that your commercial establishment takes appropriate measures to help protect surfaces against the threat of harmful microbes. We understand the importance of creating a cleaner and more hygienic environment so those who work at or visit your commercial business can have greater peace of mind. That's why Germinator has developed a patent-pending process that provides a new generation of microbial protection for commercial businesses.
Germinator's Patent-Pending Process
Step 1 – Test Surfaces:
We first test your surfaces for ATP using a luminometer to detect light that can come from cellular activity. This measurement immediately tells us the level of clean on your surfaces.
Step 2 – Application of Genesis Surface Treatment:
Genesis is a one-step cleaner and broad-spectrum sanitizer and disinfectant treatment that harnesses the power of HOCl (hypochlorous acid) solution. Derived from naturally occurring minerals, Genesis not only eliminates odors at their source but kills a wide range of bacteria, including Staphylococcus aureus
, MRSA, Salmonella enterica
and Pseudomonas aeruginosa
, and viruses including norovirus, rotavirus and adenovirus on hard, non-porous, environmental surfaces. It meets the AOAC germicidal spray standards for Hospital Grade Disinfection and is on the EPA N List of products determined to meet the criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. As a result, this treatment will eliminate bacteria and viruses that may reside in your environment without the use of harsh chemicals or fumes.
Step 3 – Application of Bacteriostatic Finish:
The Shield is a water-based quaternary ammonium compound that imparts a durable bacteriostatic finish to a wide range of non-food contact surfaces. It is EPA-registered as effective against the growth of mold, mildew, algae, and odor-causing bacteria. This application creates an invisible barrier that combats deterioration and discoloration and promotes freshness for up to three months.
The Genesis and Shield products are applied by using an electrostatic sprayer, which is the most efficient and effective means of delivering the products to the intended application sites.
Step 4 – Retest Surfaces:
After our surface treatment and protectant services, we retest to ensure the surfaces have achieved the intended results.
If you're looking for commercial sanitizing or disinfecting services or residential sanitizing and disinfecting services, Germinator of the Low Country is the right choice. Call us at (843) 338-6220
or fill out the form here on our website to find a location near you.